Journey of 1,000 Miles

Join me in my 1,000 mile ride in the month of May to fight cancer by raising money for the Lance Armstrong Foundation.

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Day 4: Race Day

Bikes have so many different types; road, hybrid, touring, track, cyclocross, recumbent, single speed and mountain bike. I remember my first 'mountain bike'. I ordered it from a Sears catalog and put it together myself. I rode my crappy mountain bike all over the mountains of Northeast Ohio. I wonder what happened to that bike.

I ended getting two more mountain bikes when I realized last year that I don't really ride that many mountains. Northern California has some excellent mountain bike riding, but I really don't like packing up may car and driving 45 minutes to ride my bike. I like opening the garage door and heading out my driveway on my bike.

But, it is fun and extremely challenging. I really need to work on my skills so what better way than to race. The Prairie City Race Series is a great way to jump into mountain bike racing. It's very friendly atmosphere and some great riding. Not to mention they give away one bike frame a week!

The last race I placed 3rd in the beginner, so I figured might as well move up to sport(intermediate). Ouch. While I may be a good beginner mountain biker, I am not as good intermediate mountain biker. But, I survived and piled on 10 more miles towards the cause. Plus, I won a $20 gift certificate at Fleet Feet!

Rumor has it you are supposed to count 1 mile of mountain bike riding as 2 road miles. While that may be true, I will not count miles double.

Daily mileage: 16
Running total: 120

P.S. Here's the big daddy hill from the race. (I got 16th out of 23.)

1 Comments:

At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, nice list of bike types, but how can you possibly leave out the velocipede???

For shame, Charz. For shame.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home